MND: Medpage has posted an article discussing the benefits of antioxidants for stroke prevention.
The main points of this post , itself based on an article of the Journal of Nutrition are as follows:
- Vitamin C : “.. Participants consuming the highest amounts of vitamin C had a reduced risk of ischemic stroke..”,but other food antioxidants are beneficial too
- Vitamin E: “..High intake of vitamin E, on the other hand, was associated with nearly triple the relative risk of hemorrhagic stroke…”
- “…Coffee – the main source of antioxidants in the study population — reduces blood pressure [[..??..], which is a recognized risk factor for ischemic stroke, the researchers wrote…”
This statement about coffee demands some clarifications:
- Yes, coffee is an excellent source of antioxidants: Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry ; , 
- But, “Greater Coffee Intake in Men Is Associated With Steeper Age-Related Increases in Blood Pressure.”, Am. Journal of Hpertension
- Quoting John Hopkins: :…High blood pressure is also the most important risk factor for stroke—the third leading cause of death in the United States and the leading cause of disability. If left untreated, this “silent killer,” as high blood pressure is often called, is a primary cause not only of stroke, but also of coronary heart disease, heart failure, kidney disease, and blindness…”
- Quoting the Mayo Clinic: “..Some people who regularly drink caffeine have a higher average blood pressure than do those who drink none. Others who regularly drink caffeinated beverages develop a tolerance to it. As a result, caffeine doesn’t have a long-term effect on their blood pressure…”
- So if you are taking coffee for health think again...Talk to your Doctor.